When it comes to your business’s website, content is key. Website visitors and consumers are goal oriented; they visit websites to complete tasks, find information, and ask questions. If your website doesn’t do those things for them, you are highly likely to lose their interest and business. Most visitors will spend just a few seconds on a web page before deciding what to do next. Check out our tips for choosing the right content for your website.
Tips for Choosing the Right Content for Your Website
We recently reviewed the most important things to include on your website, things like contact information, who you are and what you do, and reviews and testimonials, can help you engage your ideal audience, but you can’t just stop there. When it comes to choosing the right content for your website, it all goes back to knowing who your ideal audience is and how to communicate with them.
Below we break down our tips for choosing the right content for your website so you can convert viewers into customers.
- Know Your Ideal Audience: We can’t say this enough, because it is truly the most important thing you can do for your business and your website. Knowing who you are trying to reach and what matters to them, is the first step to not just website content, but to your business’s success as well. It’s important to remember, when you create a website, you’re not creating it for yourself. Your website exists to help your desired audience learn about you, or specifically, how your product or service helps them meet their goals or needs.
- Keep it Simple: Web readers have short attention spans and if consumers are trying to solve for a problem, they will want to do so as quickly as possible. Get to the point of who you are and how you can help their needs right away. You can drill down and provide additional content throughout your website, but make is so consumers can go find more information if they want it, and don’t overload them with information they may not need or care about. Let them click to learn more.
- Effectively Communicate: Keeping your content concise and to the point, will help you to effectively get your message across. Don’t get lost in telling a story; be bold and direct and practice the 5C’s of effective communication. Keep the number of ideas and your content to a minimum, and don’t add anything that obscures your message. Try to use facts and figures to have a greater impact. Be clear, concise, courteous, consistent, and compelling.
- Add Some Visual Elements: When it comes to choosing the right content for your website, you don’t just have to stick with words. Images and videos can really help to enhance the visitor’s experience. Research shows that most of the human brain is visual, and people process visual information many times faster than text. Images can help break up text, making your page easier to read. Having at least one image on each page of your website can make a big difference for the user experience. Keep in mind, having relevant images is key.
- Always Include a Call-to-Action: You should always keep your website visitors wanting more. Each page should have a strong call-to-action (CTA) that motivates the audience to take action in some way or another. Whether the CTA is to watch a video, download something, request more information, or something else; call-to-actions are must haves. Use words like: “Share”, “Join”, “Follow”, “Learn More”, “Watch”, “Download”, etc., and then link to something actionable on your website.
- Keep it Current: As we have reviewed before, your website should have ongoing updates. If your website is showing signs that it’s time for a refresh, don’t be afraid to do so. A website that is current and updated is not just good for the actual website; refreshed websites are more likely to be found and indexed by search engines, making your website more likely to be found by potential customers. Make sure there is no outdated information, it is optimized for mobile, image load speed is good, there are no broken links, if there is something major happening in the world you should address it (i.e. COVID-19), and review the analytics around your website to better understand what pages are losing your audience’s interest and being viewed less or have high bounce rates, and update them.
When it comes to choosing the right content for your website, it all stems back to your ideal audience. Water Bear Marketing is here to help.
With Water Bear Marketing WebsiteDesign, we strive to make you stand out. We build websites that are optimized for advertising, lead generation, and sales. We build all websites customized to our clients’ needs. Water Bear Marketing is an expert at developing new websites or bringing old websites up to the latest industry standards.
At Water Bear Marketing, we believe that in today’s world, there is no room for guessing with your advertising dollars. Request a free consultation today to learn more about how we will help design and maintain your website.