You likely know that blogs are all the rage, in fact, if you are reading this, our point may already be proven, and you don’t have to read on any further. Just kidding, we are going to cover some good stuff and you should stick around. While you may know that blogs exist and lots of companies are embracing them, you probably wonder “why?”. Blogging is key to most successful SEO and Organic Search marketing campaigns, in fact, a good blog should be the driving force behind your SEO. Now, we probably really have you scratching your head and thinking, “How do blogs help SEO?”. Lucky for you, we have got you covered.
How do Blogs Help SEO?
Blogging helps advance SEO quality by positioning your website as a relevant answer to your customers’ questions. The right blog posts can give you more opportunities to rank in search engines and get people to visit your website. Having a blog that’s updated consistently with blog posts that are high quality and discuss topics relevant to your audience, can make a huge difference to how your overall website performs on search engines and how you rank in organic search results.
What is Organic Search?
In case you need a refresher on organic search and why it is important, we’ve got you. Organic search results are the website listings that most closely match the user’s search query based on relevance. Also called “natural” search results, ranking high in the organic results is what SEO is all about. Organic search results happen naturally and are not paid for like paid search. They are “natural” in the sense that, the search engine algorithms analyzing all the pages across the web, feel the pages they display contain the most relevant information for the particular search.
Organic search can be powerful to users who understand the difference between it and paid search, because they know they are seeing the results based on the search engine finding them to be the most relevant for them and not because they were paid for.
What are the Key Reasons Blogs Improve SEO?
Blogs help SEO for numerous reasons, and we are going to review them below:
- Keeps Your Website Current and Fresh: By continuing to add content to a website, search engines recognize the website and the business as being relevant and updated. New blog content also gives the search engine algorithms more reason to index your website more frequently. A blog allows you to make your website to appear as though it is continuously being updated, without you having to change your website time and time again.
- Increases Time Spent on Your Website: Blogs give users something to read and look at, in turn, keeping them on your website for longer periods of time. Search engines use the time spent on websites to determine if they are sending people to websites that are relevant to them. If someone clicks a link and clicks right off the page, that indicates that the search was not valid for what the person was looking for and could impact the organic ranking.
- Allows You to Target Long-Tail Keywords: Long-tail keywords are terms that are more specific to your business and less searched for than common search terms. Long-tail keywords conversion rate is between 70-80% (short-tail is 15-20%). They contain more specific details and have longer word counts. They get less search traffic but have a much higher conversion rate than common search terms. Long-tail keywords can be awkward to fit into your website pages, so blogs make the perfect places for you to use them to improve SEO.
- Creates a Space for Internal Linking: SEO relies heavily on linking; internal and external. Blogs create a space for you to utilize linking and link back to other pages within your website. This not only helps users find what they are looking for more easily, it keeps them on your website for longer periods of time. Each time you use an internal link, you can tactically use the text to better tell search engines what the page you’re linking to is about; in turn, strengthening its connection to your target.
- Builds a Connection to Your Audience: Blogs improve SEO by helping you create an audience and a connection to that audience. The more people who read your blog, the more likely they are to share it and use word of mouth advertising for you. When you get a lot of traffic and repeat visitors to your website, that shows search engines that people like your website and raises your authority level in their algorithm. A blog is a good way to make connections and continue a relationship with your ideal audience.
Blogs improve SEO for your website, but also improve the overall experience and connection you have with your customers and ideal customers. As a business, having a blog is a huge benefit to you and will help you stand out.
At Water Bear Marketing, with our OrganicSearch product, we focus on SEO and create custom blogs, relevant to your business. We are focused on increasing our client’s online ranking, consumer perception, and improving their chances of being found across the Internet with clear and accurate information. Our OrganicSearch program allows you to stand out, literally. Our goal is to get you seen in as many places as possible.