The days are getting longer, flowers are blooming, and spring has officially sprung. If you are like most of us, you are skipping for joy and excitement about the warmer weather and sunshine. When it comes to your business, spring is a great time to start fresh and try new things. Just like many people spring clean their homes, you can freshen up your marketing strategy. We are going to review some current social media trends that should put a little extra spring in your step this season and beyond.
How and Why Should Social Media be Part of Your Marketing Strategy?
Before we take a look at current social media trends, we wanted to revisit how and why social media is important to your company’s marketing and advertising strategies. We will keep this simple and to the point.
- Over 60% of the global population uses some form of social media and people spend roughly 15% of their time awake on some type of social (about 2.5 hours a day).
- 82% of the population in the United States has a social networking profile (statista).
- The United States reached over 302 million social media users in 2022.
- People in all demographics and age ranges use social media. 84% of US adults aged 18 to 29 are active social media users, 81% for the 30 to 49 year-old age group, 73% for those aged 50 to 64, and about 45% of 65 years old and above use social media (Pew Research Center).
- 73% of marketers believe that their efforts through social media marketing have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
- 75% of Internet users use social media to research products and brands.
We think we can stop there. Basically, a huge chunk of your ideal audience is on social and using it to do research about your company and the products and services you offer and they need. To put it simply, if your brand isn’t on social, you are missing a large pool of potential customers.
Current Social Media Trends
Because a huge chunk of your competition, if not all of them, are already likely using social media to reach people, if you aren’t embracing social, you are falling behind. Let’s review some engaging social media trends that can set you apart and help you spring ahead this year and beyond.
- Communicating with your ideal audience and being authentic. When it comes to social media, it’s important to know who from your ideal audience is there, and how to effectively engage them. You can post and post and post; however, if you aren’t providing engaging content, using the right tone, being authentic, and connecting to them in some way, you can easily lose the attention of your followers. Ask your audience what they want to see and provide them with content that will keep them interested and involved in the conversation. Speak about things they are interested in and talk about their needs and how you can help solve them.
- Don’t fall out of sight and out of mind. Remain active on your social profiles. If you aren’t embracing your audience and providing them with current and consistent content, they will forget about your brand. Being constant is important, as your business will remain in the top of the feeds and at the top of your audience’s minds. Don’t overdo it. Usually one post per day should be the limit and post at least weekly (if not more).
- If there is a conversation happening on your social media accounts, get involved. Ask questions, acknowledge responses, and try to engage other followers. Share things on your social that will trigger people to want to respond, so you have a conversation to engage in. Don’t ever leave a person hanging, even if they ask or say something negative. Acknowledge their post and try to turn the communication around. If needed, tell the person you will reach out to them privately.
- Build a connection. When it comes to social media, people want to be social and they want to build a true connection. Make sure that when you are using social media for your brand, you make your brand as human as possible. Post things about people within your business, such as birthdays, first days, etc. People will be less likely to engage with you via social if they don’t think you are an actual person. Connect with them and let them know that you are real. Consumers nowadays demand authenticity from brands, with 86% of consumers saying that transparency has now become more important than ever, so be authentic to nurture and develop relationships with your consumers.
- Allow your current customers and followers to help you grow your brand. Your customers are on social and so are their friends and followers. Make a lasting impression with them, so they will share your social profiles, articles, posts, etc. with others in their network. Simply just having your brand on social, isn’t enough. You need to connect with your followers and keep them in engaged, so your brand is always at the front of their minds. The more engaging you are, the more likely they are to utilize word of mouse and mouth and tell others about you.
As we said, spring is here and it’s time to put a little extra spring in your step by embracing current social media trends. We can help. At Water Bear Marketing, we focus on surpassing our customers’ lead goals by Advertising With Intelligence®, instead of fixating on click costs, a click-through rate, or other industry jargon. We can help you with your social media strategy in multiple ways.